In today’s episode, we speak with Shaun Usmar. He is the Founder of Triple Flag Precious Metals. Triple Flag Precious Metals is a royalty and streaming company deploying capital to select investments in the mining industry.
Shaun is the kind of exemplary leader that major investors feel comfortable betting on. He has C-suite experience with Barrick Gold Corp., Xstrata, and other major industry players. He not only saw them through the good times but more importantly, guided them through the tough times.
He applies the lessons he learned from his mistakes to building Triple Flag. He has had to make difficult and dispassionate decisions along the way but he has the heart and passion of an entrepreneur.
“ You’ve got to make the right long-term decisions if, ultimately, a business like this and this model is [going to be] rewarded through time, patience, and success. The team, the culture, and the philosophy are a core part of that.” — Shaun Usmar [0:34:43]
Team, culture, and sustainability are at the core of Shaun’s business philosophy, which he elaborates on during the course of our discussion.
We touch on the value of constructive conflict and patient capital from an institutional perspective. Shaun shares why he believes that ESG is good for business plus so much more!
You’re not going to want to miss this insightful conversation with Shaun Usmar.
KEY POINTS FROM THIS EPISODE:
• Insight into Shaun's decision to start a company using the royalty and streaming model.
• Some of the most informative mistakes that he's has made in his career.
• The correlations between liquidity, profitability, and risk in the mining sector.
• An understanding of investor relations and patient capital at an institutional level.
• Looking back at Shaun’s C-suite experience and the tough decisions he had to make.
• Taking a Socratic, data-driven approach to business planning, rather than a theoretical one.
• The importance of creating a high level of ownership within your workforce.
• The core role that team, culture, and philosophy have played in Triple Flag’s success.
• Why Shaun believes that mining companies have an obligation to look after their communities.
• Shaun shares his take on ESG criticism and ‘greenwashing’ from an investor’s perspective.
• Why he believes that ESG is not only good for the planet but good for business too.
• Expanding on the benefits of transparency at Scope 1, 2, and 3 emissions reporting.
• A look at the example the mining industry needs to set when it comes to ESG.
• Final thoughts on embracing the opportunities that come with volatility and uncertainty.
Sign up for our FREE 5-part master class Investor Marketing 2.0
LINKS MENTIONED IN TODAY'S EPISODE:
For more information on our sponsor, please visit Olympia Trust Company